Problem. Readers were very uncomfortable when they had to wait for library-released audio books for months before the CD would be returned to the library and they would be able borrow it. To avoid frequent visits to the library, readers would take 20-30 audio books at the same time. They would return them only when they finished reading. This means that, while one reader was reading one book from his package, other readers kept waiting for the books he was not reading at the time.
For people with vision impairment, a significant problem was communication between the library and rural locations — they needed a helper that would escort up to the library.
In an increasingly globalising world, people quite often stopped using library services at all, as they do not live in Lithuania any more or visit here rarely.
Information on the books that library visitors wish to be recorded had not been collected, thus making it impossible to guarantee feedback and to satisfy different readers’ needs.
The project was aimed at increasing accessibility of services provided by the Lithuanian Library of the Blind to the people with vision impairment.
- Personal identification subsystem. Purpose of the subsystem is personal identification.
- Disability determination subsystem. Purpose of the subsystem is to identify the Service User’s disability and grant or deny him the right to use ELVIS.
- Service Users subsystem. Purpose of the subsystem is administration of Service User’s data.
- Search. Purpose of the subsystem is quick search of electronic publications, announcers, news in ELVIS using one-stop shop principle and search for publications with the help of advanced search.
- Catalogue. Purpose of the subsystem is the presentation of the list of electronic publications and their annotations in a format accessible for the disabled, description and evaluation of the publications and their preparation.
- Player. Purpose of the subsystem is safe on-line broadcasting of audio publications to PCs or mobile devices and download of archives to personal devices using an interface that would be accessible to the disabled.
- Statistics. Purpose of the subsystem is storage statistic data on electronic publications, their users and users’ actions.
- Messages. Purpose of the subsystem is communication between the library and readers.
- Surveys. Purpose of the subsystem is organisation of ELVIS users’ surveys on important issues.
- Announcers. Purpose of the subsystem is presentation of the list of announcers and their descriptions in a format that would be accessible to the disabled, commenting and rating of announcers, recommending new announcers.
- News. Purpose of the subsystem is provision of information to ELVIS Users in a format that would be accessible to the disabled, browsing of news archives and subscription.
- Reports. Purpose of the subsystem is generation and storage of reports on ELVIS users and electronic publications in accordance with the parameters set.
- Portal. The portal has 3 levels: the website freely available to all visitors with the limited data access rights; website for ELVIS users for work with PCs; and the website for ELVIS users for work with mobile devices.
- Recommend a publication. The purpose of this subsystem is collection, storage and assurance of feedback with readers to meet everyone’s needs.
- Bundles. The purpose of the system is bookmarking of highlights, creating and sharing of of bundles with other ELVIS readers.
- Help. The purpose of the subsystem is assurance of convenient provision of help in various formats
- Administration subsystem. The purpose of the subsystem is effective management of the information system and data contained using installed system administration tools.
Planning valuable changes in your organisation?