Apps for blind and visually impaired
A comprehensively featured calculator that has become a favorite among adults and primary schools around the world. Designed for a wide range of users, this calculator has large colorful buttons, optional high contrast, full VoiceOver support, and unique to this calculator; the option to use speech for answers, button names and formulas!
*** Showcased by Apple Australia at the Association of Special Education Administrators in Queensland Inc. Conference 2011 ***
“We have found it particularly useful to students with developmental delays.”
– Apple (Australia) If you’re looking for a talking calculator with scientific or fraction operators, then please look for this app’s big brother, the Talking Scientific Calculator.
Talking Calculator’s features include:
– Select between two user-interfaces: standard calculator, and ultra-simple, which is ideal for young children.
– Reads answers, entered numbers and formulas aloud. For example:
1,234.56 is spoken as “One thousand, two hundred and thirty four point five six.”
2 + 5 x 3^2 is spoken as “two plus five multiply three squared”
– Two entry modes, Standard and Formula. Standard mode emulates traditional calculators: You need to be mindful of the ‘order of operations’. Formula mode takes care of the order of operations for you. You enter a mathematical expression, complete with operators and parentheses (brackets), tap the EQUALS button, and the expression is evaluated. This is similar to using formulas in Microsoft Excel.
– Paper log feature, designed particularly for classroom use. Calculations are recorded with a timestamp and can be viewed or emailed.
– Built in recording studio and script. Requires only 5 minutes to record a new voice. Recordings can be transferred between devices using Bluetooth.
– Optionally integrates with the iOS VoiceOver feature: As you move your finger over the screen, the names of buttons are spoken to you. Double-tap to activate the selected button (or single tap with a second finger.) The calculator’s voice will speak the calculation results. The iPad/iPhone’s Home button can be triple-clicked to switch this mode of operation on and off.
– The entire app is accessible to VoiceOver users, including the recording studio for recording your own voice and the use of complex formulas.
– International number formats
– Optional high contrast mode (black on yellow)
Customizable for each level of vision.